Saturday, January 24, 2009

Working with Language Fonts

While working on my Hindi AV lesson, I had downloaded the Hindi font (Shusha) for helping me in the typing of the Hindi words. Initially, when I planned to conduct this lesson, I thought of making the Hindi teacher write the words and I would scan the same, and cut, copy and paste what I require for the presentation. Once I downloaded a Hindi font which also included its keyboard layout or map, typing in Hindi was a breeze. Though i did have some difficulty in the "chandra kala" format, i did some some work on the same using paint. Chandrakala would not work in my font. hence i had to use the help of Paint to draw the dot for the Chandrakala. Maybe, when I get time, I should find a Hindi font which includes all the letters and letter formations clearly. This keyboard map didnt seem to be of full use since I wasnt able to get certain things. But the good thing about this Shusha font is that, even I could type easily. The letters a, s, d corresponds to the phonetic sounds in Hindi. Now that's what I call easy typing.
Anyways, on preparing slides for Malayalam AV, I did try looking for Malayalam font but somehow the keyboard map was not available. But recently, on the Malayalam teacher's request, I resumed my search. Along with the help of my uncle (who is pro in Malayalam typing), i searched for the Kaveri Malayalam font and luckily, I got the keyboard map along with it. The whole keyboard keys have a corresponding Malayalam aksharam or kootuaksharam (joined letters). Anyways, typing in Malayalam is not so easy as Hindi. Anyways, the keyboard map is of great use here.
I have come across a strange issue in school. At home, i have downloaded these fonts to my laptop and they are still in my system. But in school, once I copy the fonts to the Fonts folder in Control Panel or install the fonts in the Fonts folder, I can work on it immediately. But if i restart the system, the fonts disappear from the Fonts Folder and i have to copy it again. Havent figured out what I issue is. Maybe I should do some research on the same. ( When...I have no idea)

No comments: